EDITORIAL: 10 Awesome Comic Book Villains Ruined By Movies

Written By Unknown on Saturday 12 July 2014 | 10:49

That's right, Starky Stark is back with another editorial, this time squeezing down some awesome villains from the comic books, that were sadly ruined by films. So originally I was planning on making a list with the top 5, but I got to thinking and finally said, “There's too dang many!” So while I won't list them all into this one editorial, I figured I could narrow it down to the top 10 and see how it turns out, so you fellas read it, then let me know below what you think!







10: Dark Phoenix (X-Men: The Last Stand)






Many people hated Brett Ratner's X-Men: The Last Stand, and while I didn't like it very much, it had some redeeming qualities, such as Kelsey Grammer's Beast, as well as Daniel Cudmore, who had an increased role in the film as Colossus, among several other small things. But one thing I did not like very much was Famke Janssen's Phoenix/Dark Phoenix. Now don't get me wrong, I liked Janssen's performance of Jean Grey in the first and second film, but she didn't quite pull off the performance of a mindless-beast. But the graphics and script were the main problem.



9: Malekith (Thor: The Dark World)







I liked Alan Taylor's Thor: The Dark World a lot, and it was one of the smartest moves he could've done to place Loki on the throne. I was a huge fan of Christopher Eccleston as Doctor Who, so when I heard he was playing Malekith, I was highly anticipating the film. When it came out however, I got to see the midnight premiere, and I was disappointed. He had no motive for his reasons, or even a back-story. It was like saying “I'm a bad guy, so everyone die so I can take over!” So no, he wasn't terrible, but he wasn't spectacular or even that good.



8: Whiplash/Crimson Dynamo (Iron Man 2)






There was a lot of hate given to Jon Favreau's sequel Iron Man 2. One of the many things hated on was Mickey Rourke's portrayal of classic Iron Man villain, Whiplash. And it's all for good reason. To his credit, the graphics of his electrical whips were awesome, but he's also Russian and got an armored suit, so he's also somewhat of a Crimson Dynamo, therefore damaging both villains.



7: Venom (Spider-Man 3)







Do I really even need to explain? I didn't mind Sandman, or heck, even New Goblin wasn't that bad when comparing it to Topher Grace's Eddie Brock/Venom. Venom in the symbiote suit I didn't really mind, as the graphics and his webbing weren't that bad. But Topher as Eddie was ugly and Mediocre. If the picture above doesn't say so, then something is wrong with you.



6: Dr. Doom (Fantastic Four and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer)







There is nothing comic-accurate about Dr. Doom in these films, except maybe his costume, which we only saw for a few minutes. Dr. Doom isn't a wealthy businessman who gets superpowers and goes crazy, but an overlord. He is the ruler of an island full of robots and drones ready to do anything as he commands! All of his weapons and “powers” are just highly advanced technology, and he most certainly isn't a superhuman.



5: The Mandarin (Iron Man 3)






“Ole, ole!” I went into Shane Black's Iron Man 3 expecting a lot. Like every Marvel movie, I'd seen all the trailers, clips, and TV spots released. I'd heard some early spoilers about the twist of Trevor Slattery, but I wasn't going to make that ruin my day. I went into the theater with my head held high... And came out with it dragging low. The Mandarin is Iron Man's greatest foe in comics history, yet the film completely ruined him. This would have been higher on the list, but there's more popular and better villains that were ruined, which you'll see below.



4: Parallax (Green Lantern)







Much like Iron Man, The Parallax is Green Lantern's greatest foe, and the film RUINED him. In the comics, Parallax is a yellow being of “living fear” that possesses minds and gives them amazing, yet uncontrollable power. In Martin Campbell's film adaption, the only similarities is that Parallax is a beast and is yellow. He absorbs people's souls, which increases his power. All their bones show in his skin (which is really creepy) and Green Lantern defeated him with a punch into the sun. That's right, Hal Jordan's greatest foe is beaten by a punch into the sun. Good graphics or not, that is one of the dumbest things to happen in CBM history.



3: Catwoman (Catwoman)





If you have even given the thought to forgiving DC after reading that last one, I'm here to send another blow to all the fans. Who remembers Catwoman? Played by Halle Berry, Catwoman was released in 2004 and focused on a girl named 'Patience Phillips.' That's right fans, because Selina Kyle apparently didn't have an interesting enough story, They released this. She was killed, and was brought back to life... By cats. Well at least it was original and entertaining in Batman Returns! She uses her cat-like powers as a villain/hero to save the day, I guess? It was very complicated, and Catwoman's story should not be so.



2: Galactus (Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer)








Source: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/starksnewsandreviews/news/?a=103489

0 comments:

Post a Comment