Pasto Reviews Gareth Edward's 'GODZILLA'

Written By Unknown on Thursday 29 May 2014 | 14:52



Before Godzilla was ever released I was hyping the film like crazy. I was preparing my body both physically and emotionally. When I walked into that theater, and gave a light prayer and said 'Please don't make me wrong...'. And do I feel like that prayer was answered.
The Good

Right off the bat Godzilla grabs my attention with these old pieces of footage of the King himself. They even throw in this one piece where it starts to show him rise out of the water then quickly cut's to something else. I felt like that was Gareth Edwards wetting our pallet and preparing us for the full meal, kudos. Then we see Heisenberg and his family in Japan as he and his wife are working at a nuclear plant. Now, his wife's death scene was honestly the saddest thing I've ever seen this year. The way you could tell he felt almost hopeless as she succumbed to the nuclear energy. And I was not at all surprised by the emotional weight that this film carried. Having seen Edwards work on Monsters, I knew he could handle emotion correctly. Now although Aaron Tyler Johnson gave a less-than stellar performance as Ford Brody, he still had some good bits and pieces hidden in there. For one, the scenes involving his wife and son actually felt like he was a father trying to do the best for his family. I felt like I was watching a home video of a young couple and their son.



The next scene involving Godzilla is probably the most 'tantalizing'. Edwards didn't give us a Godzilla that was this dumb lumbering creature from the deep who would fight monsters and lay waste to cities just for the heck of it. No, he painted this picture that Godzilla was nature setting things back into the balance. Godzilla came out of his slumber for a logical reason: to kick some tail and take some names. One of my favorite scenes from the film was the airport scene. As we see this humungous Cloverfield like monster terrorizing a mono-rail, we are suddenly given our first look at the King himself, and he does not look happy.



One argument that I feel like doesn't hold any water at all is the complaint that Godzilla doesn't show-up in the film enough . And let me give you an illustration that best describes this film: When you go to a restaurant, you are given an appetizer, and a bowl of soup BEFORE your main meal. So the airport scene is like the appetizer. The scene where the male MUTO epically swoops into Godzilla's face is the soup, and the final 's***' to fan battle is the main [bleep]ing meal. *Drops mic*






The Bad

Now, none of us have experience a traumatic experience involving a large lizard fighting grey ancient creatures. But if we did, I have a feeling we would do more than simply look at it's glory and scream here and there. Thats one thing that bugged me about this film. I get that Ford is supposed to be a soldier who does his job, but his reactions to the situations around him were terrible, as were the other soldiers. If I was a soldier and saw a lizard breathing fire into a spider-like creature, I'd probably crap myself to no end, crawl into the fetal-position, and consider putting a gun into my mouth.


Conclusion

Aside from the one problem I had with this film, Godzilla gets a whopping 5 out of 5.






Source: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/IdentityCrisis/news/?a=100943

0 comments:

Post a Comment